Thursday, May 10, 2012

Coconut Mocha Protein Frappuccino

Starbucks has a Frappuccino that is mocha & coconut. I love it. In fact it's a weakness.
I made it my mission to create a healthy, clean version. After trial and error I mastered my concoction. Except this one was FULL of protein, healthy fats, & sufficiently lower in sugar (62g in the Coffee House version, 4-6g in this version- depending on your protein powder!).
First I wanted to post the benefits of coconut oil. The recipe calls for a Tablespoon of coconut oil. At first glance the fats in coconut oil will scare anyone away, but I carefully researched coconut oil and I've found many benefits and it to be okay to consume on a clean diet. ;)  
I was concerned about the fat levels in Coconut oil at first. Research shows that the fat in coconut oil is made of short- and medium- chain fatty acids. In simpler terms, fat in coconut oil is easily digestible and is converted faster in to energy, instead of being stored. The short- and medium- chained fatty acids are used immediately by the body. Although, this doesn't mean we can consume 3 of these bad boys in one day either. ;)
I have included sources/links at the bottom for coconut oil research. The websites list the many benefits, including some beauty benefits of coconut oil.
I loved this coffee drink as a post workout in the morning. Try it and let me know what you think. I am working on new combinations for you all to try and will be posting more as I perfect them.  

Coconut Mocha Protein Frappuccino 
In a blender combine-
1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1 Tablespoon Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1 1/2 Teaspoons Instant Coffee Granules
1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
A Pinch of Unsweetened Coconut Shavings
1-2 Packets Stevia in the Raw
Ice (about 10 cubes)
Follow me on Facebook for daily posts and motivation!

Thank you for listening!

Sources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment